Sound

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 01:05:01 UTC 2005

Chet Ranaweera wrote:

>I have a on-board sound card. I could detect it and also the drivers
>for it. But when I ran xine I can not get sound. Does anyone has any
>idea about this? How do I test that my sound is working properly in
>FC3??

Did you see any reference to detection of a sound card at the time your
installed Fedora on your system?  You probably should have if a sound
card was detected.  In FC2 one can check by using the Gnome hardware
browser.  (panel popup menu "system Tools" --> Hardware Browser)

Sound problems are a common issue with linux/fedora newbies, Chet.  The
release notes do not give people any advance notice that at installation
the default sound volume is setting is zero or mute.  In FC2 one can
address the sound off condition by going to Gnome panel popup menu (Red
Hat icon), Preferences --> Sound and  popup menu  Sound & Video -->
Volume Control

You might want to search the archives of all Fedora and Red Hat mailing
lists before posing additional questions.  All of the lists can be
searched at https://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi