ASUS P5GD2 Marvell Yukon 88E8053 gigabit ethernet not detected/loaded

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 02:52:01 UTC 2005

Went ahead and purchased an ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard for a new
project.  Installed a Plextor 16X Double Layer DVD RW burner along with
several SATA harddrives.

FC3 loaded however it did not detect the gigabit ethernet port or the
built in wireless interface.

lspci tells me:

02:00.0 ethernet controller: Marvell Technologies Group Ltd. Marvell
Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 BaseT adapter (rev 15)

The port gets a link light on the switch.

Best I can tell the sk98lin.ko driver should have loaded.  I tried to
load it using insmod and modprobe.  I also tried modifying
/etc/modprobe.confg by adding alias eth0 sk98lin.

The driver loads but does not appear to see the interface.

I tried searching bugzilla but did not find anything using the various
key words I could think of.

Did see a few hits via google but those covered problems with FC2.

I also noted that during the install the smp kernel was loaded.  Could
this be contributing to the problem?  Or do I have the wrong driver for
this interface?

BTW: If you get this mother board please note that it does not have an
AGP slot.  It appears to have a modified PCI slot for graphics cards.  I
am currently using a standard PCI graphics card which appears to work
just fine with the built in drivers.  And at least one of the two SATA
controllers work as expected, it recognized two of the SATA harddrives I
installed and boots just fine.  Have not worked on getting the second
SATA controller working yet.  Will work on that later. :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Is this foreplay?"
   "No, this is Nuke Strike.  Foreplay has lousy graphics.  Beat me again."
-- Duckert, in "Bad Rubber," Albedo #0 (comics)