Modem Drivers

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 03:08:38 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I think I may be forced to use a 56K dialup modem when I'm in the UK
> next month. I have not used Linux with dialup in some years now. I did
> at one time, and still have a heavy old "real" 3Com external 56K modem,
> but I'd prefer to just use my laptop's internal modem.

First, what type of laptop are you using?  You might be able to find a
'real' PC Card modem, like the USR (3COM) that I have.  If you cannot do
this, you should visit the Linux on Laptops web page.

> How do I get started with dialup in Fedora Core 3? Does it have a
> capability for dialing UK freephone numbers like '0800 1234 5678901'?

You may have to get a modem in the UK due to legal requirements.  Some
of our UK members might be able to give assistance with this.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2