What's a good video card?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Feb 14 16:23:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 20:52:56 -0500,
  Asa Douglass <asadouglass at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a radeon 9200se video card right now that I think is a problem
> (causes X to freak out intermittently).
> I've read about others having problems with my budget box card and
> thought I'd try to buy my way out of it.
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good video card that works
> well with Fedora Core 3 without too much tweaking for around $120? I
> don't really game too much but I'd like to do a little video editing
> (once I get kino to read in the files) and I'd like to be able to game
> if called upon to do so.

You might want to see if there are improvements in xorg 6.8.2 that fix
your problems. I looked at the release notes and they mention driver
enhancements for the radeon driver, though I couldn't find a list of
specific bug fixes.
I have a 9200 on an SMP system and things get bollixed up when using 3d
applications after a short period of time (on the order of an hour).