Dan's Guardian and Fedora

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:14:11 UTC 2005

I'm setting up a desktop for my niece and nephew, who are five and
nine years old. It's important to their parents that their computer
filter web content. What I was hoping I could do is this:

1) set up proxying on that station so that all web connections (80 and
443 at least) pass through a filtering proxy, while netfilter/iptables
prevents outgoing connections that circumvent the proxy.
2) set up the filtering proxy to maintain a list of banned sites, as
well as content-based filtering.
3) set up some kind of automated updates (hopefully yum) so that the
banned site list and the banned content list are both updated
automatically.

I know that Dan's Guardian, in combination with Squid, can do this.
But in a couple hours yesterday, I didn't make much progress beyond
installing Dan's Guardian from the Dag repository (thanks, Dag!).

For one thing, the whole setup seems to assume that Squid and DG are
running on a proxy server that sits in between the browsing machine
and the internet. I hoped I could set it all up on the desktop,
without having a separate machine between the desktop and the
internet. Does anyone know if that's possible?

For another: DG didn't seem to offer automatic updated banned-site and
banned-content lists. In fact, I couldn't figure out much about that,
at all. There are no banned sites at all listed in the config that
results from the yum install (as far as I can tell).

Thanks,
Matt