FC1 multiple ethernet interface issue

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 18:43:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:35, David Benigni wrote:

> I don't want to bond the nics.  I need to have multiple ip addresses up
> on this box, I want to bind one to eth0 and many to eth1.
>
> >A little more information on your network design may be helpful.  And
> >why do you want to manually bounce the interfaces?
>
> I don't want too manually bounce the interfaces, in troubleshooting of
> another issue I took down eth1 and noticed the behavior.  This might be
> normal, but I'm curious if it should do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

It would be informative to see the netstat -rn data from the point that
both interfaces are working correctly and then after you take one of the
interfaces down.

I suspect you will have a single default gateway listed, the last column
on the right should list which interface that default gateway will use.

If the default gateway is on the interface you took down then I would
expect that route to go away.  However if it is on the other interface
that remains up then I would expect that route to stay in the router
table.  If it does go away then you should file a bug report because it
sounds like the decision to remove routes is based on the IP addressing
not the interface itself that went down.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Majorities, of course, start with minorities.
		-- Robert Moses