TurboTax - Linux?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Feb 14 19:08:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:46:00PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> Because they apparently have a short sighted view that by trying to
> implement onerous copy protection schemes they can improve their bottom
> line.  When in reality they have alienated a growing portion of their

For what it's worth, public outcry made them back off and they're not using
this "copy protection" scheme anymore. (Or any other such scheme.)

> potential user base by doing that and by making their web based service
> MS centric (they block the use of other browsers such as Mozilla).

Actually, check the earlier threads. They allow Mozilla, just not on Linux.
They actually check for the OS, and if it's not MS Windows or Mac OS, they
tell you your browser isn't supported.

And for the record, once you spoof the OS once and actually start a return
on web-based Turbo Tax, you can log out, reset your user agent, and the
"continue return" link works fine, as does the entire process. (I did my
taxes successfully this way.) Then, when you're done with the whole thing
and log out, the page it redirects you to tells you your browser isn't
supported. :)

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--