kernel compiling advise: FC3/adding source

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Mon Feb 14 19:11:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:55 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:48 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > I have removed all *but* the most recent kernels from my laptop. This
> > was before I found out about Fedora's policy of not providing kernel-
> > source as an RPM. I now need the kernel-source for 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 to
> > compile some drivers, so which would be best for me now:
> >
> > 1) Install the original kernel that comes with the FC3 distro, boot into
> > it before compiling against the 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 kernel.src.rpm, or
> >
> > 2) Compile against the 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 kernel.src.rpm right now and
> > just rename the resulting kernel?
> >

> It is renamed to "custom" automatically.
> http://www.tqmcube.com/fc3_custom_kernel.htm

It's been a while since I recompiled a kernel. I forgot about "custom"
being automatically added to the original kernel designation. What
spurred the post being made was having read this, based on a referral
from this list:

http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

Your link helps a lot. Much appreciated, David.

Paul