X server refusing remote clients

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 14 19:59:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 14:54 -0500, Douglas Frank wrote:
> Hopefully this is just another config issue that's not written down
> anywhere :-)
>
> On my FC3 box I can e.g. 'oclock -display :0' and it displays as it
> should.
>
> However a remote oclock client trying to display back to FC3 e.g.
> 'oclock -display <IP-adrs>:0' fails with 'Error: Can't open display'
>
> Any ideas?  I've temporarily shut down the firewall and have used both
> xhost + and xauth to give the client permissions, nothing is working....

I know you're trying to do things "the way you know" but it really would
be better if you tried the "new" approach of using ssh instead of
rlogin/xhost etc.

If, instead of "rlogin remotehost" you had used "ssh -X remotehost", you
could probably just have run "oclock" without fiddling with
display/xhost/xauth etc. and what's more it would have been more secure
too. This would work with the firewall enabled too, as long as there was
hole poked through it for sshd (just the one port).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>