How many dial in connections possible

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Feb 14 20:38:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:29:20PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:16:14PM +0300, Kumara wrote:
> > Can someone tell me, if I make a dial in server how many people could dial
> > my server simultaneously? (one or more)?
>
> A Linux box can easily support as many dial-in users as serial ports you can
> get attached to the thing.

As a general rule, Matt's probably right about this.

But....
It really depends on the capacity of the server, the types of devices
used to connect the dial lines to the server and the types of
applications being used on the server.

A theoretical example, a high-end RAS device could create a server
configuration where a few hundred dial up lines could be serviced by one
server.  Is this practical?  It depends.

Realistically you need to tell us:
The server's hardware configuration,
What type of devices the serial lines will be connected to,
How many serial lines will be connected,
and what type of activities the dial up user's will be doing

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"