booting Fedora 3 from boot disk

Gentian Hila genti.tech at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 20:56:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

I installed fedora 3 on my machine which has a windows xp in it as
well. I installed GRUB as the boot loader not in MBR but in Fedora
partition.

Strangely enough, (very different from FC1 and previous RedHat
versions), fedora did not ask me to create a boot disk.

So I cannot boot to fedora. I do not want to install GRUB on MBR. I
tried to enter in linux rescue mode and create a bootdisk through
mkbootdisk but it didnt work since the system is mounted in
/mnt/sysimage and the kernel is looked up in /lib/modules.

I tried to create a floppy boot disk in another machine that had FC3
but it was bigger that a floppy, so then I created a CD boot disk
through mkbootdisk.

Now when I used that boot cd I typed linux
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 (this is weird because fedora 1 was on
/dev/hdc5 which I tried without success as well)  because there it
says that Fedora is installed, but for some reason it fails to mount
the system.

It says:

mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed 22
unmount  .initrd/dev failed 2
Kernel panic - not syncing Attempted to kill init. !

How can I start Fedora 3 ? How can I create a cd or whatever to make it work ?

Please help as I am completely stuck ......

Thank you