Grub loading stage2 error

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Feb 14 22:10:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:43:20PM +0100, Perran (bongo) wrote:
> Thank you so much for replying Slash, but a colleague of mine suggested that I boot from my XP installation CD, run the repair console and run 'fixmbr'. I did this and it all worked wonderfully. I'm guessing that Fedora CD2 isn't bootable(?)
You are absolutely right. You cannot boot from CD2 in any distribution.

> I am still a little confused though...
>

> > Where did you install your grub and how did you do the installation?
> > I hope grub boot code is on /dev/hda (or HD0).
>

> I didn't specify a location for installing Grub, I was never asked to. I'm guessing that it's on /dev/hdb along with everything else Linux-ie. Is that not where it wants to be?
>
> Do I have to install Fedora on the primary drive (/dev/hda) or just grub?
>
> Ta, Bongo

Well actually you were asked during the Linux installation. The boot
program should always be installed on block 0 on the primary drive or
/dev/hda in your case. The Linux can be installed on a partition (not
block 0 which contains the partition table. Any partition will do as
long as it is identified correctly to grub. /dev/hdax, /dev/hdbx are all
possibilities, with x being a number from 1-4 in most cases.

How much of their influence on you is a result of your influence on them?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.