ftape (and modules in general)

Stephen Childress schildre at bsn1.net
Tue Feb 15 03:38:49 UTC 2005

Hello Fedora users,
     I have a Exabyte TR-3 tape drive that is connected to an accelerator
card hanging off the floppy controller.  The ftape module and associated
drivers worked pretty well in FC1, but after I installed FC3 I no longer
have the modules ftape.ko etc. under the /lib/modules directory structure.
So I figured that I would have to compile the module myself.  After a few
failed attempts I have decided I need some directions.
     I notice that there is a directory tree called
/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build that just contains Makefiles and header files
but no *.c source files.  Can someone explain what this directory is for?
(Or better yet point me to some documentation about it).
     Anyway, I have installed the kernel .src rpm and have tried building
the ftape modules from that, but I wonder if that is the best way or if I'm
even going in the right direction.
     Can anyone tell me the general way that modules are supposed to be
built under FC3, and/or perhaps point me to some documentation on how to do
this?  Also, I'd be especially glad to hear from someone who has ftape
working on FC3 and a general description of what you did.  Thanks.

Stephen Childress