Intel PCI Modem

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 15 04:02:27 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> Greetings to List!
>
> I remove the hardware (the modem in question) then rebooted the system,
> Kudszu removed the HW from system
> then I shut down the system and installed the modem again in the box,
> again rebooted. then kudzu found the modem (Intel PCI modem), and
> configured it.
>
> then I tried to make a dial-up connection, but wizard searched and says
> that there is no modem detected.
>
> is this meant that it should be a modem which connected to the serial
> port (UART)? in the wizard
>
> Then, I checked in www.linmodem.org <http://www.linmodem.org> but I
> couldn't find any solution there for this modem
>
> ok, I could throw away that bad modem which pain me, but how could I
> prepare a dial-in server without a proper modem?
>
> really hope your assistance
> Thank you
> Mohan

Mohan, this is why people on this list will 90% of the time recommend an
external serial modem. They *JUST WORK*. There's just simply a lot of
PCI modems which are software modems OR do not provide the host PC with
a UART.

Sure, developers get them to work through linmodem drivers, and their
efforts are appreciated, but nothing beats the no-frills installation of
a *REAL* modem. They just work from the get-go.

Have a look at your /var/log/messages after a boot-up and see what the
system says about UARTs or anything to do with the modem. You may also
want to check your /dev folder for any ttySx devices (x being 0-7 or
so). These are your serial ports. Once you've identified them, check
whether minicom can speak to the relevant one for the modem.

Either that and troubleshoot or go out and buy a real modem.

Regards,
Ed.