FC2 ext3 system. Boot FC3 CD-1. =Kernel Panic.

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 04:12:54 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:

> My existing FC2 system (which I don't mind re-partioning
> re-installing) is jealous. It won't allow FC3 on it.
>
> Here is the scoop:
> Hardware: Dell 4500, 2ghz Pentium, 1 gig ram, 1 ATA 80 gig drive. (NON
> sata.) Currently running FC2 a-ok.
> FC2 was installed with default filesystem, ext3.
>
> Now, I boot FC3 CD-1 (which I can read ok from) and I get a kernel
> panic like this:
>
> ===========
> md:...autorun DONE.
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0.
> crc error
> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,3).
> ================
> If I try the mediacheck option, I get the same message, before the
> mediacheck begins.
>
> Thank you all;
> -nat

Update: I tried the same cd in another [Windoz] system, with the exact
same result! Hopefully, although I can mount and read the cd, it's
defective. It did say 'crc error'. Would this mean that's its the cd or
<gasp> the image. Aw, I never bother with the md5 stuff, don't even know
how to use it.
Anyone?
Thanks
-nat