Maximum RPM Amendum, the real world files; building security updates on EOL Redhat releases

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 04:14:09 UTC 2005

What considerations should I be making when upgrading packages on an
older Redhat release? (eg, my collocate RH 7.2 box).  I need the
critical security updates current, while keeping everything manageable
and smooth.  I've researched building rpms from spec files (via source
tarballs, or from src.rpm).  Should I be building from the newest
src.rpms available?  Should I install from the newest tarballs?  This
brings up another question,  do I need to upgrade to a newer redhat
(or to the current fedora) release?  If so, what's the best way to do
that?

Even if you can't be exhaustive, please tell me what you know.  I'm
sure there's plenty that can reconfirm what you have to say, and build
on it to.

Thank you,

Scott Edwards
Daxal Communications - http://www.daxal.com