Installation Errors

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 15 05:22:38 UTC 2005

Claus Hetzer wrote:
> Aloha-

Claus you've already gotten a few good replies, so I won't swamp you
with another but there is something you need to know (see below):

> Well, mixed results.  Switching from the graphical install to the text
> install worked...sort of.  I was able to complete the installation,
> start Linux, log in as root, add a new user, etc.  However, after a
> reboot, the display kept going black, and I would get messages such as
> "the display has reset 6 times in the last 90 seconds" (I paraphrase).
> No problem, I thought, I had installed Gnome the first time, so I'll
> rerun and just install XWindows.

Here's where you need to know something

X Windows is the actual X server. It provides a background API for other
Window Managers and apps, and is what is basically responsible for
throwing your PC into graphical mode, loading acceleration drivers, and
preparing your graphics to do the cool GUI stuff. If you have hardware
related issues, or resolution, colours etc, this is the responsible
party. X Windows by itself traditionally only shows you a gray
background with a white X as the mouse cursor. Nothing else. Pretty
useless on it's own really.

A Window Manager sits on top of the X server. There are many window
managers, some you'll meet like Gnome and KDE, other exist but you will
probably never use. They are basically responsible for the look and
feel, and application behaviour for example. Gnome and KDE are
responsible for the menu bars, desktop and shortcuts etc. etc. etc.

Hence, you can get your X environment to look like anything you want.
ANY developer can use the API and environment X Windows provides to
write whatever Window Manager they want WITHOUT worrying about the
underlying hardware. I am waiting for the day someone creates one that
looks and acts exactly like XP. Not because I want Linux to look like
XP, but I'd love to see the look on Bill's face. Try keeping that one
out of the papers.

So basically you normally install X Windows AND at least one Window
Manager for desktop work.

Regards,
Ed.