Fedora 3 First boot trouble Logging on

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Tue Feb 15 06:44:19 UTC 2005

Patrick Kenney schrieb:
> I have installed Fedora Core 3, three times now all with the same
> results, I get to the successful reboot and get prompted with a "(none)
> logon: " entry with out the quotes...
>
> I checked all the iso's and they all passed...
>
> I took the workstation installation with all the defaults and have tried
> it with & without the boot loader password...
>
> I used the graphical anaconda install with the default grub boot
> loader, which seemed intuitive enough, but after the first/initial
> reboot after the install I enter root at the "(none) logon: " prompt and
> it just repeats the same entry, no subsequent prompt for a password just
> keeps repeating the same thing "(none) logon: "
>
> I am running this inside ms virtual pc 2004, Intel P4, 1GB RAM
>
> I am new to linux/fedora and this is my initial learning endeavor.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=30648/*http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/jibjabinaugural.html>

Am i right, you miss your GUI? And you have no hostname? Perhaps your
virtual PC is the thing, that doesn't work as you expect, try it with
vmware, if you really want to check out Fedora Core on a virtual machine.

If you just want to test Linux, better use something like Knoppix, it
boots from cd and works without any installation.

Otherwise, if you feel free to use Fedora, but still want to have your
Windows on your disk, use a free Partition and make a dual-boot-system,
means install it while booting your system, using the FREE space on your
system.

I use this since years (...still battling with my wife, perhaps XPDE
will solve this in future...) and it works fine, also you get your full
PC-Performance showed by Fedora.

HTH
Roger