Maximum RPM Amendum, the real world files; building security updates on EOL Redhat releases

Bernd Radinger bradinger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 08:27:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:14:09 -0700, Scott Edwards <supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:
> What considerations should I be making when upgrading packages on an
> older Redhat release? (eg, my collocate RH 7.2 box).  I need the
> critical security updates current, while keeping everything manageable
> and smooth.  I've researched building rpms from spec files (via source
> tarballs, or from src.rpm).  Should I be building from the newest
> src.rpms available?  Should I install from the newest tarballs?  This
> brings up another question,  do I need to upgrade to a newer redhat
> (or to the current fedora) release?  If so, what's the best way to do
> that?
>
> Even if you can't be exhaustive, please tell me what you know.  I'm
> sure there's plenty that can reconfirm what you have to say, and build
> on it to.

upgrade to rh 7.3, then get updates from http://fedoralegacy.org and
help them with  packages you're interested in. you won't have fun with
the ``newest tarballs'', since many of them won't build in your old
installation. you would end up trying to build your own distribution.
yes, you could as well install fedora core 3, it's nice, or have a
look at some of the rhel rebuilds.

--
Bernd