Installation Errors

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:10:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:41:05PM -1000, Claus Hetzer wrote:
> Aloha-
>
> Well, mixed results.  Switching from the graphical install to the text
> install worked...sort of.  I was able to complete the installation,
> start Linux, log in as root, add a new user, etc.  However, after a
> reboot, the display kept going black, and I would get messages such as
> "the display has reset 6 times in the last 90 seconds" (I paraphrase).

Here you need to boot to init level 3 and run:
system-config-display
to configure your display resolution.

> No problem, I thought, I had installed Gnome the first time, so I'll
> rerun and just install XWindows.  Now I have tried that twice more and
> am getting the same errors I was getting before.  I also tried the
> "linux text ide-cd=nodma" idea, with no difference.  I am wondering if

I would use ide=nodma

> there really is a hardware problem somewhere, although why it would be
> failing at such different points in the installation process is beyond
> me; I've had it fail after only 10 packages installed, or as far in as
> the second disc.
>
> Thanks
> Claus
>

> --

In order to succeed in any enterprise, one must be persistent and patient.
Even if one has to run some risks, one must be brave and strong enough to
meet and overcome vexing challenges to maintain a successful business in
the long run.  I cannot help saying that Americans lack this necessary
challenging spirit today.
- Hajime Karatsu
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science