TurboTax - Linux?

Michael Carney mc-al34luc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 15 18:47:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:36:40 -0600, Paul wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 11:38 -0600, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course. And Turbo Tax for the Web (and all of the other
>> > companies) also
>> > use https. I guess the question is: a secure protocol _to what_?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org
>>
>> Back to the original quesiton, have people tried running
>> Turbo Tax under wine?  I was going to try it out just for
>> grins, but have not gotten to it yet.
>
> Well I've tried TaxCut ... it installs fine, but the auto update feature
> does not work and there are font issues.
>
> I don't personally trust TurboTax because of what they pulled with
> writing to the MBR (or was the Partition table) a couple years back.
> TaxCut just asks you "Is this a legally registered copy?" you click YES
> and it goes on to install ... no CD key or anything.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Berger

Caution re: Taxcut 2004: I've used it happily for years, and this year
was the first year I encountered a problem which resulted in my
requesting a refund. Believe it or not, it calculated my taxes
incorrectly. Specifically, the value it generated based upon my
line 42 of 1040 didn't match what I came up with by hand using the
tax computation worksheet on page 72 of the 1040 instructions.

Yikes.

Regardless of what tax prep program you're using, you might
want to check to see if the value it produces for line 43 based upon
line 42 of 1040 matches what you'd have come up with had you done it
yourself.