Installing FC3 on second hard disk

Stephen Ng steveng at pop.jaring.my
Wed Feb 16 14:00:19 UTC 2005

Hi!

I would like to install FC3 on a second hard disk. I understand that
this is possible with almost all distributions. The question I have is -
If I want to do this without causing problems with my current
installation of RedHat 9 and Windows XP on the first (original) drive
what do I need to do with grub and grub.conf to make sure that after
installation of FC3 I can still boot into RedHat or Windows XP whenever
I need to. I would still want grub installed on the original first
drive, but have it point to FC3 on the second disk so that I can
optionally boot FC3 or my original RedHat/XP. Booting from floppy or
other such work around would be messy so I would prefer not to go down
this route.

I understand that it would be best to create a separate swap and boot
partition on the second drive, which is fine by me. I have not tried it
yet so I am guessing that if I start the FC3 install process, somewhere
down the line when it installs grub, it would simply overwrite my
current grub configuration. Is this right? If so what will I need to do
to protect my current grub config? Will simply copying it to a safe
place, then restoring it after installing FC3 and then manually editing
it to add the FC3 parameters be the correct thing to do?

And by the way, what will be the correct grub.conf settings to boot from
the second hard disk?

I would appreciate any help on this question.

Stephen Ng