Kernel-2.6.16-1.13_FC2.i686

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 14:52:28 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 23:35 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
>>

>>>There's also an --oldpackage option, but from the manpage, it seems
>>>that's only for upgrade's, not install's.
>>>

>>Actually 'rpm -ivh --oldpackage kernel.rpm' works! I've used it before.
>>

>Yes, and shame on you Dave for suggesting to anybody that they should
>use --force! ;-) Really, we should be doing everything possible to
>discourage the use of --force and --nodeps unless absolutely necessary -
>use of these options often leads to screwed-up systems.
>
>Paul.

Greetings everyone.  I am happy to report the absence of any keyboard,
mouse, or screen freeze ups since booting the .13 kernel at 23:31:00
hours EST yesterday.

I appreciate everything said by all contributors to this thread.  It has
all added to my depth of understanding (assuming the bio memory banks
can hold the data more than a few hours :)).

Dave pointed out an important point, though.  After spending a little
time on man rpm, I reached the same conclusion he did on the
applicability of --oldpackage.  And, I had overlooked the --force option
while reviewing the man pages on rpm (I accessed the man pages by
pointing Konqueror at man: and found this morning that no white space
separates --force and its description from the description of the
--excludedocs option.

I also realized this morning why several attempts at running rpm last
night while trying to install the .13 kernel failed.  I had interpreted
options with double dash prefixes (--) as having a single dash prefix.
So, my eyesight and system display resolution do not fully support
reliance on pointing Konqueror at man: