Installing to an unrecognized hard drive

Patrick Quinn inkieminstrel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:30:52 UTC 2005

I have a Promise 579 SATA controller on my motherboard.  It's not
currently recognized by the 2.6.10 kernel, but a patch is in the tree
for the 2.6.11 kernel.  I currently have FC3 running off an IDE drive
on the system, and have verified that the patch works.

Once the new version of the kernel is released, I'd like to install
Linux (preferably Fedora) on my SATA drive and ditch the IDE drive.

What would be the proper way of doing this, without waiting for the
FC4 release?  How do you install Fedora on a system whose hard drive
isn't detected by the default FC3 installer, but whose hard drive
works perfectly with the latest kernel patch?