FC3 on a Compaq notebook: X trouble

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Wed Feb 16 20:04:51 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've had RH9 on my Presario 700US for about a year, and decided to
change over to FC3 today.  The install went fine except that in graphics
mode, the display is unusable.

I re-started, this time for a text-based install, and the only unusual
event was the announcement at one point that my monitor wasn't
recognized.  Anaconda did identify my video card (S3), but not the
monitor....

Upon 1st reboot, at the point you receive the welcome screen followed by
the license agreement, etc., the display was obviously screwed up.  It
was aligned to the upper left corner, and below and to the right of the
screen was a ghost image repeating the display with frequent flashing.

I'm guessing there's a memory alignment problem.  This laptop takes 16
MB off the top (I think) of main memory to use for video.

I've got it up at runlevel 4 now and am experimenting with xconfig,
however no success so far.  When I issue xorg -config <file>, the screen
just goes dark.  how do I kill the trial w/o rebooting?  (I'd expect it
to ask "OK?" and start a timer when running a trial xorg.conf, but that
doesn't seem to be what it's doing.)

thx
--
Douglas Frank    HP Co.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,