java and FC3

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 14:28:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 05:18, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Marc M wrote:
>
> > Actually this IS firefox, I should've specified that originally...I
> > don't know enough about what is going on under the hood with java, to
> > know whether just a plugin fixes these things, or whether I somehow
> > need more, like the full SDK or JDK packages.
>
> You only need the JRE if you only want plugins for Firefox.  I've seen
> flakey behavior (read crashes) with Sun's 1.4.2 JVM and FF, though.  They
> were fixed by using the 1.5.0_01 version.

Please note that there is a problem with javaws and FC3.  Apparently the
code in glibc was tightened up.  javaws makes a call with zero
parameters which used to fall through.  With the additional checks this
does not fall through but causes a zombie to be spawned and the main
process consumes 100% of the CPU.

I did find a replacement javaws on the web.  Info is in a thread here
the past couple of weeks.  With the modified version javaws runs as
expected.  This is apparently a bug identified on the Sun web site but
the fix is not located there.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
		-- Leonard Brandwein