Grub install broken after kernel update

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Feb 17 17:55:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-14-02 at 18:07 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:49 -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:

> > > Grub has to use bios for the first stage of the boot.  If adding
> > > a drive changed your bios' concept of which was your 1st and 2nd
> > > (bootable) drives, then grub really doesn't have anything to do
> > > with it.  You need to install a boot loader on the drive that
> > > bios will boot.
> > >
> > > If bios is still booting the initial grub loader, then it is
> > > a grub issue, but just involves setting the configuration to
> > > find where your /boot partition now using grub's non-Linux
> > > oriented device names.
> > >

> > I am using an ASUS P4PE and it has good support for many
> > different boot scenarios. My machine was happily booting
> > from the Promise TX2 PCI card until I added another drive.

> > > That should only be necessary if your bios won't boot the
> > > SATA.
> >
> > I agree, but I read all the grub {grub legacy} documentation
> > and tried many things. The documentation does not have a lot
> > of troubleshooting information, and grub has very poor error
> > reporting. I would be more helpful if it mentioned which file
> > or partition could not be found rather than just; Error 15 or
> > Error 22.
> >
> > I was able to use grub-install without errors and many times
> > used :
> >
> > # grub
> > > root (hd4,0)
> > > find /grub/stage1
> > (hd4,0)
> > > setup (hd4)
> > > quit
> >
> > I changed bios settings and moved the drive around, put it
> > on different controllers, changed the device.map and menu.lst
> > settings. All I ever got was screens full of grub, error 15
> > and error 22. After spending all weekend, I gave up and
> > reconfigured to boot from a PATA drive then re-installed onto
> > that drive.
> >

> If you had both PATA and SATA drives, it may be that the MBR was on the
> PATA drive and changing the device locations on the SATA bus would be a
> problem.
>
> Don't blame grub, blame your changing hardware config.

I zeroed out all the other MBR's to make sure that wasn't the case
while testing. There wasn't an MBR on anything but the first SATA
drive until I put in an old 80GB drive and re-installed FC3 on it.

The machine was configured correctly, otherwise it would not have
even found grub, since I only had one "bootable" drive.