Uninstalling progrms?

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:30:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:05:41 -0800, Richard E Miles
<r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:30:24 +0300
> "Kumara" <kumara.jayaweera at damad.com> wrote:
>

> To uninstall rpm's as root do rpm -e rpm-package name. To unistall from a
> tar.gz after you have done a make install, do a make uninstall. That will work
> for most tar.gz installs. Some do not have a make uninstall in which case you
> must physically remove them using rm command form wherever they installed.

Another method is to

#yum remove <package_name> ENTER

A graphical front end is also available btw:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/2.0/

Yes, we all know that Fedora needs better package management tools
that are tied into yum by default.

An install/remove interface that lists more than just CD packages or
an up2date that uses yum as it backend or a doubleclick to install for
rpms that handles dependencies through yum completely etc...etc... ad
nausem.

Yum is still imho the best way to handle package management.  Gyum is
kind of slow and simple but it works.