Firefox and https in fc3

Matt Florido matt at floridonet.com
Fri Feb 18 04:07:47 UTC 2005

Hongwei Li wrote:
[...]
> However, I face a problem when I use Firefox.  I got:
>
> You have received an invalid certificate.  Please contact the server
> administator or email correspodent and give them the following
> information:
>
> Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate
> issued by the certificate authority.
> Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number.

[...]
> What does that mean -- "the same serial number as another certificate..."?

This is because you already "accepted" a test certificate from a
different computer and FireFox is complaning that it's not unique.  You
need to purchase a valid cert from a certificate authority (Verisign,
Thawte...).

If you want SSL for pure encryption and don't care to pay for a valid
cert, then you can just generate one.

You can also just go to FireFox preferences and delete the offending cert.

--
Regards,
Matt Florido