Why do I need SELinux?

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sat Feb 19 22:01:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 14:40 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 16:33 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
>

> > I know but every experiment on another machine has yielded unexpected
> > results. It's on my list of TODOs (to fully understand SEL). One thing I
> > have learned is NEVER to use what I don't fully understand. SELinux is
> > like Talmudic study to me at this point.
> ----
>  Why not admit
> that you are afraid of creating extra work for yourself because you
> don't understand it and find it easier just to shut it off?

OK. -;)

Actually, it's not the work. I just recall making some "simple" changes
in the past that cascaded to a server failure. Since it has no monitor
nor keyboard and a very fussy SCSI RAID I am reluctant to mess with it.

The vast majority of production linux servers run without SELinux.

--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam: http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm