Can't have FC3 Boot after XP instalation

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 06:00:02 UTC 2005

Mohamed Ameur wrote:

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have xp on the first drive and FC3 on the second drive, I was forced
>

>>to reinstall XP,( XP will remove Linux Boot ), I tried to upgrade FC3,
>

>>every thing go find on the upgrading process up to when I get the
>>message that NO KERNEL WAS INSTALLED or DETECTED ON YOUR SYSTEM.
>>
>>I wish if I could have help so I avoid to reinstall FC3 again.
>

> Mohamed:
>
> Did you look into editing the boot.ini file to add Linux to your boot
> menu?  This might be a solution and is how a team I worked with made it
> so we could boot six different versions of Windows.  I know of several
> folks that boot Windows and other operating systems through this method.
> Since I don't know which partition you installed Linux into, I will not
> attempt to show how this is done, but the file should be
> self-explanatory.

Ok.  I misunderstood what you wanted to do. You will have to reinstall
GRUB from the original Fedora install disks.  You should not need to
reinstall FC3.  I suggest booting up your system with FC3 rescue disk
and see if grub-install is on the disk.  You will need to mount the file
system.  See if you can look at man grub-install as suggested as another
reader did.  This should get Grub running again.  You can also look at
the mail list archives as using Grub and XP was discussed on several
occasions.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2