'Some Contents Unreadable" error.Is my Hard drive corrupted?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 04:40:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 23:21, Rajev Mhasawade wrote:
> Hi,
> I need help.Plz confirm me if im in a problem.Is my HDD corrupted?
> I have Fedora 3.When i right click /usr (which is a separate
> partition) it first calculates used space and then this comment below
> it. "(some contents unreadable)".Same with /doc partition.
> I did check my /doc partition using fcsk but i didnt understand the
> output it gave.
> ---------
> [root at localhost ~]# fsck /dev/hda12
> fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> /dev/hda12 is mounted.
>
> WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
> SEVERE filesystem damage.
>
> Do you really want to continue (y/n)? yes
>
> /doc: recovering journal
> /doc: clean, 29/393600 files, 32977/787177 blocks
>
> ---------
> What does this 32977/787177  blocks mean?Is it space used or is it some error?
> Is fcsk adequate or shud i use other command?
> Plz help :((
> Rajev

Sounds like you are forcing an fsck on a mounted file system.  Not a
good thing to  do.  fsck is used to check the integrity of a file
system.  This should be run with the file system unmounted.  This is
explained in the WARNING above.  Do a man on fsck to learn more.

I believe the 32977/787177 is the used blocks and the total blocks on
the file system.

Why are you trying to run fsck?
--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.