FC3, GNOME question

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:16:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:19:49 -0500, Chris Gramer <cgramer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I recently installed Fedora Core 3 and set up the system with nary a
> glitch and logged in using my regular account under GNOME.  After
> installing, I used up2date to update all my packages.  I then logged
> out, choosing "Save Current Settings."  When I restarted and tried to
> log back in using my regular account and GNOME, after entering my
> password it would show the splash screen briefly, show that it was
> blank blue screen.  (The FC3 BSOD?)  I was able to Ctrl-Alt-Del to
> access the logout/shutdown dialog and log out, and could then log into
> the system using my regular account under KDE without problems.  I can
> also log in using GNOME or KDE as root.  Any ideas what could be going
> on?  Any hardware info you need?  Just in case:
>
> Running a 3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1 GB of DDR400 RAM
> Western Digital 160 GB SATA hard drive, Linux on a 60 GB partition, XP
> Pro on the 100 GB partition
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (recognized by Linux initially as a Radeon 9800)
>
> Happy to provide any other info...
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> --
>   Chris Gramer
>   cgramer at fastmail.fm
>
> --

Do you have a home directory still?  may sound like a silly question
but.  If this is a new install as root create a new user account for
yourself,  and see if you can log in that way.
Does the /var/log/messages have any output that might be of some value?

--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813