Comments on bug 140214 - the removal of X utilities?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 19:14:37 UTC 2005

Bryan Ischo said:

> Hi all.  I'd like to ask if anyone has any comments on bugzilla bug
> 140214.  This bug is in regards to the removal in Fedora Core of the X
> utility programs xbiff, xmessage, and xcalc.  Are there Fedora Core
> developers on this list who can comment?

I doubt it.

[snip]
> Mike A. Harris seems unwilling to consider the needs of users with
> respect to this issue.  He has simply decreed that these programs shall no
> longer be in Fedora Core and gives no reason for this.
[snip]
> He has suggested that the X.org software will be removing these programs
> from its core system in the future.

So the reason was given, you just don't like it.

> Perhaps that is true, but why not wait
> until *then* to remove them from Fedora Core?

What will that change?

> Why pre-emptively remove
> them without providing for any other place to put them?

Read the bug again.  The place for them would be Fedora Extras.  Now you
just have to get one of the people that is intersted in using them
interested in maintaining them.

[snip random personal attacks]
--
William Hooper