Trying to install NetworkManager under KDE

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Feb 21 20:08:16 UTC 2005

I installed the latest upgrade NetworkManager rpm .
The documentation was sparse, to put it mildly -
just the README in /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.3.3/ -
no manpage or info entry.
[Also the README had no linefeeds - just one long line for each paragraph.]

According to the tutorial at
<http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/>
when I started NetworkManager with "service NetworkManager start"
it seemed that an icon should have appeared in the "notification area"
of my "system tray".
But I don't see a new icon anywhere.
I don't know what the "notification area" is,
and am not even sure what is meant by the "system tray".

I'm running KDE - is the NetworkManager GUI limited to Gnome?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366