Using up2date killed X

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Feb 21 20:18:13 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 21.02.2005 schrieb Timothy J. Finucane um 21:05:

> I recently used up2date to get the latest updates for my new server, including X.org updates. After
> the updates were complete I decided to reboot the server. When the machine came back up I no
> longer had a working X window system. I took a look at the log files for X and found the following
> entry:
>
> Fatal Server Error: Could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> Anyone have some ideas on how to correct this issue? Has anyone else experienced this after
> running updates for X?

> Tim

I have better experiences to update X in runlevel 3 only. up2date has
the --nox option for this.

Anyway, be sure the xfs service is running. Be also sure you have enough
free space, especially on the partition where the /tmp directory is.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=Could+not+open+default+font+%27fixed%27&q=b

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:14:35 up 8:23, 17 users, 0.41, 0.58, 0.47