Comments on bug 140214 - the removal of X utilities?

Bryan Ischo bji-fedora at ischo.com
Mon Feb 21 21:15:49 UTC 2005

> Well, the number of people on the CC: for the bug about their removal
> (for the record, two).  The number of bugs filed about their removal
> (two, from a quick search).

What's your point?  That the extra effort that Mike A. Harris went
through, which as far as I know helped *no one*, only inconvenienced a
small percentage of users?  And so that makes it worthwhile?

By this logic it would be worthwhile to start putting spelling errors in
man pages just because it's not much effort, and although it will benefit
no one, only a few people will probably notice.

I'm not trying to be flippant here.  I'm just trying to express the age
old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", which I guess no one else
believes applies in this situation.

> So perhaps you can just start with the existing spec file and limit the
> files that your RPM contains.  It wouldn't be much different than what
> the VNC SRPM does.

So once again, to build these handful of very small programs one would
have to download an entire X11 distribution (hundreds of megabytes?) and
build the whole thing?  Does that even make sense?

Look, I'm not averse to joining the extras mailing list and developing my
own RPM if that's what has to happen, but it would be really nice to get a
good reason why all of that effort has to be put forth by me and all of
the users who ever want to use these programs, rather than just following
a more logical path when it comes to modularizing these programs into
their own RPM at the time that the base software on which the RPMs are
based is organized the same way.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Ischo             bryan at ischo.com                          N, R, 6