Trying to install NetworkManager under KDE

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Feb 22 02:26:43 UTC 2005

<posted & mailed>

Philip Trickett wrote:

>> I'm running KDE - is the NetworkManager GUI limited to Gnome?

> Wireless Networking in Fedora Core 3
> When you have set up your wireless card, you might want to enable
> NetworkManager, this helps with wireless networking, and will
> automatically switch between wired and wireless networking.
> To do this:
> login as root (or you can use sudo for this if you have configured it)
> execute the following commands:
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManager on
> /sbin/service NetworkManager start
> then you can just execute the following command in a gnome terminal:
> NetworkManagerInfo &
> Just save your session when you log out of gnome.

As I mentioned, I am running KDE.
Does one have to run Gnome to use NetworkManager?

I have started NetworkManager with "sudo service NetworkManager start",
and I then ran "sudo NetworkManagerInfo &".
According to the documentation this should bring up an icon
(in the "notification area" wherever that is).
However, I see no new icon.anywhere on my desktop,
and no new items seem to have been added to the Redhat menu.

Please note that my WiFi card works perfectly until I start NetworkManager.
So I am not looking for advice on how to configure a network card.

Has anyone actually run NetworkManager under KDE?
If so I would very much like to hear from them.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366