Sound and CD-RW

Pete pchoppin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 14:17:07 UTC 2005

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

Pete wrote:

 > Fedora Core 3
 > 2.5.10-1.766_FC3
 > I686
 >
 > Problem:  I occasionally lose the ability to access my CD-RW device
and I lose my sound sporadically.  These two problems seem to happen
simultaneously.  I have tried everything that I know to get these
devices to work properly with no avail.

 > Solution Attempts:  I have removed/re detected the sound.  I have
tried mounting and unmounting the CD-RW.  It may be coincidence, but the
sound and CD-RW did appear to work when I had started my Konqueror File
Manager Super User mode.  I needed to restart the system (just to get
into Windows) and started back into Linux and the sound and CD-RW were
inaccessible.

 > Note:  Even when I cannot hear normal system and application sounds,
I can play the sample sound under Control Center, Sound & Multimedia,
Sound System.

 > Any help is greatly appreciated.
 >
 > Pete

I now have partial sound (no sounds in Gaim but some system alerts are
working.) I did not make any system changes, except I did start
Konqueror in su.

Still no access to CD-RW

Oh.. here are the devices:
CD-RW - Optiwrite CD-RW
Sound - Soundblaster 128 (Fedora detects this as an Ensoniq ES1371)

Pete