OT: Incredible Rudeness in Evolution Bugzilla

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 22 16:39:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:28 -0600, Nix, Robert P. wrote:
> I'd have to disagree with your statement: I've been a customer of IBM for over 20 years and working with two different operating systems. I've submitted bugs and worked with the programmers to reach a solution countless times. I've talked directly with the developers of both zVM and zOS at times.
>
> The support I've gotten from IBM has been every bit as good, quick and friendly as I've gotten with Open Source products. The difference is that I've had to pay for that support. But never have I ever received a message from an IBM developer that looked like the one from Novell that was shown in this thread. Free or paid, there's no excuse for not being civil.
---
this wasn't a message - it was an entry in their bugzilla system.

Message implies a private personal response - this was a public posting.

Regardless of your experiences of interaction with the programmers, it
is not common in the world of proprietary software.

As for 'civility' - I guess we all have to judge for ourselves what we
deem to be civil. I'm not entirely certain that the uncommon vernacular
always represents incivility but recognize that some may always
interpret it that way.

When I have an issue, I try to concentrate on the problem and not get
bogged down in personalities.

Craig