DD to get diisk image to a file

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 19:21:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 13:41 -0500, mconsidine at netreach.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for responding to my question on the Fedora list.
> Assuming that 32GB size is *not* an issue, can you think of
> any special
> considerations I need to keep in mind or specify to get it
> mounted?  I ask because I have never taken this approach ...

If you can get dd to work, then make sure you have enough room in the
partition where you are creating the file. Specifying bs, if, and of
should be sufficient. Your if will be /dev/hdd2. Block size of the
device is 512, but you may see better performance by specifying a
multiple. Don't use kb or mb, use k or m, for example "bs=1m".

In order to mount a filesystem that is in a file rather than on a device
you do something like this:

mount -o loop /path/to/file /existing/mountpoint

You can also specify the -t option, but that is usually not necessary
becuase it can figure out the right filesystem type.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>