How is DVD different than CD?

john_gore at yahoo.com john_gore at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 19:48:39 UTC 2005

Thanks, Here's the output of cdrecord -prcap
-dev=/dev/dvd

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright
(C) 1995-2004 J├╢rg Schill
ing
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/
bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered
with problems in this versio
n.
scsidev: '/dev/dvd'
devname: '/dev/dvd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport
code version (schily - Red
Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright
1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW 8XMax    '
Revision       : '150D'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

  Does read CD-R media
  Does write CD-R media
  Does read CD-RW media
  Does write CD-RW media
  Does read DVD-ROM media
  Does read DVD-R media
  Does write DVD-R media
  Does not read DVD-RAM media
  Does not write DVD-RAM media
  Does support test writing

  Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
  Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
  Does read digital audio blocks
  Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads
accurately
  Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
  Does read multi-session CDs
  Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
  Does not read CD bar code
  Does read R-W subcode information
  Does return R-W subcode de-interleaved and
error-corrected
  Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
  Does return CD media catalog number
  Does return CD ISRC information
  Does support C2 error pointers
  Does not deliver composite A/V data

  Does play audio CDs
  Number of volume control levels: 256
  Does support individual volume control setting for
each channel
  Does support independent mute setting for each
channel
  Does not support digital output on port 1
  Does support digital output on port 2
  Does not send digital data LSB-first
  Does not set LRCK high for left-channel data
  Does not have valid data on falling edge of clock
  Length of data in BCLKs: 32

  Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
  Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
  Does allow media to be locked in the drive via
PREVENT/ALLOW command
  Is not currently in a media-locked state
  Does not support changing side of disk
  Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
  Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

  Maximum read  speed: 16620 kB/s (CD  94x, DVD 12x)
  Current read  speed:  2770 kB/s (CD  15x, DVD  2x)
  Maximum write speed: 16620 kB/s (CD  94x, DVD 12x)
  Current write speed:     0 kB/s (CD   0x, DVD  0x)
  Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
  Buffer size in KB: 2048
  Copy management revision supported: 0
  Number of supported write speeds: 0