An update is needed Fedora!

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Feb 22 20:44:19 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 22.02.2005 schrieb Rene Bon Ciric (Renich) um 21:24:

> Ok guys, you have me amazed. This is one of my first experiences on linux support via forums and im completely shoked... I wish
> everything was like this...

:-)

> Honestly, the apache 2.5x its ok to me. I agree in the "hunt for the latest..." thing here.

So I would concentrate on the other 2 applications.

> With PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 its a diferent story.
>
> Im working in various projects that started on PHP5 (in windows  :-? ) and its too much to update it (you know, changing all the
> mysqli-xxxx back to mysql-xxx. Besides, I need some functions like "scan()" that are exclusive for php5.
>
> Thats on the php side.

That is a fact then, a hard reason for PHP5 requirement.

> In mysql. There have been major improovements in mysql 4.1.x. I have been doing some tests on diferent kinds of table types...
> you know, relational, kinds of rows, transactional stuff, etc.

Yes, I know :)

> Besides, im learning all this. I want to be able to learn in an updated enviroment! Im developing stuff for a non-profit-org... actually,
> i work there...
>
> Thank you for your interest and help. I hope i become able later to help pople like you guys do to me...

Please understand my critical question for your reason based on
experience with enough users which have no real reasons but see a lower
release number while a bigger is available and then ask "hey, where can
I get the newer one?". I agree that there can be good reasons to get a
different version than the one the distribution release ships with.

> Paul Howarth:
>
> Thanks for the solution. As i understand, that solution replaces the installed packages as they are (you know, the directory distribution
> in FC3 is.... very FC3-Style). I have had some problems with dependencies when trying to uninstall.

I agree with Paul's suggestion to find your way with rebuilding from the
development SRPMs.

> Remember, im a total linux-newbie! I need things explained with apples... (mexican expresion)
>
> Could you send one more example for compiling, installing, configuring, etc?

In short form:

a) yum install rpm-build
b) get the named SRPMs from development and saving them to
/usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/
the better solution is to create a mortal system user RPM build
environment, like explained in http://freshrpms.net/docs/fight/
c) the SRPMs are compiled into RPMs by running: rpmbuild --rebuild
<name_of_srpm.src.rpm>
d) if all goes well the resulting RPMs are to be found under
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
they should then be installed as an update using: rpm -Uvh <packagename>

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:30:14 up 1 day, 8:38, load average: 0.13, 0.27, 0.34