Fedora- redhat Linux

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Feb 23 21:41:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, m g wrote:

> This depends on how much you know about programming; obviously, if
> you're new to C++ or java, you won't be writing the next killer app
> right off the bat.
>
> Finding tutorials is a bit beyond the scope of this list (google "C++
> tutorial" or "java tutorial"), but as far as development environs ...
>
> Java has a development environment (IDE) called "Eclipse" that, IIRC,
> is in Fedora Core.  Try "yum list eclipse" to see if you have it, and
> "yum -y install eclipse" if you don't.  If you prefer to use the
> command line, learn to use vi, emacs, or nano (text editors) to write
> your code.  Use javac to compile, just as on Windows and Mac OS.
>
> C++ also has IDEs, but I'm not familiar with them.  Again, use vi,
> emacs, or nano to write your code on the command line, and use gcc to
> compile (you may need to install it, depending on what options you
> chose when installing Fedora.
>
> Happy hacking!

See also the JPackage repository (jpackage.org) for Eclipse RPMs and many
other Java-related tools and systems.

There is a C/C++ plugin for Eclipse (called CDT).  It seems pretty
featureful (maybe not as mature as the Java one), though I'm just
trying to learn it now.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences