Unable to log in user - This gets serious

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 24 00:40:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 21:39 +0100, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Tony Dietrich wrote:

> |>|
> |>|
> |>|
> |>|

> |>I have only done a "yum update".  The permissions of /tmp is equal to
> |>the above.
> |>
> |>Truls
> |

> | Try removing any sub-directory of /tmp that includes a user's name.
> |
> | Authorisation files are written to files in directories such as
> | mcop-<loginname>, and in some cases updates corrupt the setup of these
> | directories, by either changing the userID of the authorisation
> process, or
> | the method of writing the authorisation file.
> |
> | If that doesn't work, try checking the home directories of each user
> for files
> | under the .kde|.gnome|.whatever_window_manager_you_are_using directory
> for
> | authorisation files.  The rationale for this is the same as above, as
> some
> | authorisation files are stored in the user's directories in some
> cases.  This
> | route may have additional consequences though so YMMV, and the risk is
> yours.
> |
> Hi again,
> now I get worried.  I am still not able to log in with the established
> user ids.  Also, I am unable to create and use new user ids - well i can
> create but get the same errormessage.  The only one working is root.
> Is this a weakness with this distribution or with Linux?  Am I at risk
> (of course I am) that this will happen to pcs with FC3?  Now I don't
> risk doing an upgrade and reboot of this "live" machine.
>
> Regards,
> Truls

Truls,

This sounds like something is wrong with the permissions on one of the
following /tmp/.ICE-unix, /tmp/.X0-lock, /tmp/.X11-unix.  When I've had
problems logging into X as normal users, I've deleted these files and
directories from /tmp.  ctrl-alt-F1, login as root, init 3, then delete
the above mentioned files and directories, init 5 and try logging in as
a normal (non-root) user to GDM.

A couple of other thoughts:  The /tmp/.font-unix directory may also
contribute.  Stop xfs before deleting that one.  Lastly, I hope, the
gconfd-<user-name> directories can also safely be deleted in init level
3.

Since it happens to all of your non-root users it's not likely a home
directory problem, unless the permissions or ownership of the home
directories or /home itself are messed up.  /home should be

        drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4096 Dec 28 07:30 /home

and as Alexander pointed out /tmp should be:

        drwxrwxrwt  15 root root 4096 Feb 23 19:21 /tmp

I would not have thought an upgrade would have corrupted any of these.
More likely a system or X crash.

Bob...