sudo in terminal

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 24 01:23:09 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:06:07PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>>Of course, you could just do without the alias and type "vim" rather
>>>than "vi".
>>
>>That will not work.  sudo does NOT execute the user's profile scripts so
>>the alias won't work for sudo.  The only answer is to actually have sudo
>>run "vim" instead of "vi".
>

> This is a good thing -- sudo should avoid doing anything but what it's told.

I agree.  The previous poster had asked if he could set up an alias so
his "sudo vi file" would work in vim.  It won't, and I was just
explaining why.  sudo should do the absolute minimum needed and people
really should read the man pages if they don't get it.  sudo can be
quite dangerous if it's misconfigured.
-         The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR FILES!!!       -