Distributed file system

Alexander Spanke aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Thu Feb 24 09:35:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

GFS is more or less and advanced NFS, using this will bring you a huge
improvement of speed nothing else... but it is really nice if you are
working with it in a SAN environment ... :)

Cheers
 Alex

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:54:57 +0530, gaurav <gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >            I have around 50 machines in my lab, since user data is lying
> > at  central server (all home directory mounted here)....around 50 to 70%
> > storage of local machines is un used .. I was thinking if there was a
> > file system using which
> >
> >    1. Is Distributed across all these  machines
> >    2. Transparent to users (i.e for users can access thru normal path eg
> >       /dist/tom/data )
> >    3. Redundancy factor (Since files are distributed, if one part of
> >       gets corrupt it should automatically restore)
> >    4. ACL
> >    5. Scalable
>
> Fedora core 4 will have Red Hat GFS. Its already in rawhide if you
> want to check it out
>

> --
> Regards,
> Rahul Sundaram

Alexander Spanke                         System Analyst
      NEC High Performance Computing Europe GmbH
Prinzenallee 11            D-40549 Duesseldorf, Germany
Tel:    +49 211 5369 146           aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Fax:    +49 211 5369 199        http://www.hpce.nec.com