Samba Question -- Users cannot access home directories -- FOLLOWUP

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Thu Feb 24 11:35:25 UTC 2005

> > hey,
> >
> > just create the same users on linux machine which are on windows
> > machine.No need to give the linux users any password.But u need to
> > create the accounts of the windows users on linux.
> >
> > Like if there is an user on windows mark
> > then you need to create an user mark on linux box.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ankush
> >
> [Tim Holmes wrote]
> The user tholmes does exist on the linux box
>
> Likewise the directory /home/MCASCHOOL/tholmes exists and is owned by
> tholmes
>
> However -- the user MCASCHOOL/tholmes does not appear to exist in the
> linux user list, nor can I create it. And if I try to chown
> /home/MCASCHOOL/tholmes to MCASCHOOL/tholmes it chokes
>
> TIM
[Tim Holmes wrote]

After restarting samba, I can now browse to the tholmes folder, as well
as the two other shares (html and www), but I cannot write to any of
the, nor can I FTP files into them -- I think we are making progress,
and I suspect that at this point we have a permission problem that needs
to be resolved

Thanks for all of your help