Distributed file system

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Feb 24 12:43:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 09:53 +0100, Alexander Spanke wrote:

> If you mean serving the local fs of each host via NFS to all other
> systems, yes that's possible and often used in cluster environments, but
> a huge amount of administration work ... if you would like to have 1 fs
> with the amount of space of all free unused local space together, this
> is not possible ...

    Nah, it's not THAT much trouble.  I have it set up for only three
workstations, here at the house.  One server hosts the filespace, the
three workstations mount /home and /shares (common storage area) at
boot, and it all just works, with very little tuning.  I have ldap to
point the user directories out, and I'm very happy with it: I can
'spoof' a user locally to do a quick fix, and anyone in the house can
use any machine they like.

   Another bonus is that the workstations are just a typical full-
install of FC3, so if a drive fails, I just reload it.  The only things
necessary to make it 'join the collective' is a line in the system-
config-authenticaiton, and two lines in /etc/fstab.

   SO much easier and reliable than LTSP; I'm thrilled!

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller