Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 24 15:52:31 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 08:26 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Jeff Vian wrote:

>>>Now you are tickling some long buried memories.
>>>
>>>Is EZ-Drive one of the disk compression tool that were popular some
>>>years ago?   If so, it _will_ only work in Winblows and the only option
>>>I know of is to put it in a windows machine and use the LAN to move the
>>>files.
>>>
>>>I have not used those tools since drives of 6GB and larger came
>>>available, but I know they had the driver for the compression on the
>>>boot sector so it will work with Winblows, but not on other OSes.
>>>The actual data was in a compressed file, not written to a filesystem.
>>>

>>This is a good answer.  It isn't really a compression program but a
>>translation program to work with larger drives than the bios or OS
>>would handle.  I also found that EZ based drives may not work on newer
>>motherboards as they are detected properly by the bios.
>>

> Now you are getting back to even more fogged memory. :-)  I dimly
> remember a time when drives were larger than the BIOS could recognize
> and the drivers needed to map them for BIOS to handle. Have not used a
> machine with that old a BIOS for some time though.
>

>>I now remember this software and found this link that will explain
>>that what you say is the only way.
>>
>>http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/translation.html
>>

> Good point, and a handy reference for those times when needed.
>

>>Instead of spending all this time to get around the problem, put the
>>drive in an old computer and transfer the files.
>>
>>I did see that there was a kernel patch some time ago that would allow
>>drives with overlays to work.  Search google for an answer.
>>
>>--
>>Robin Laing

Speaking of fogged memories, there exists a utility than can recover
partition tables. I THINK it will get rid of the evil crap deposited by
the likes of Max-Blast and calculate a partition table that will allow
the partitions to be mounted by Fedora or Windows.  I have an idle drive
in another box with stuff dating back to Win3.1 that I thought was lost
forever until I found the program.
I'll keep trying to remember the program's name but I'm sure that one of
you youngsters will think of it 'way before I do.